12/28/2010

#28 Chocolate Malt Cupcakes

Aidan's Spiderman themed 5th birthday was Dec. 16th. I asked him before hand what flavor cake he wanted and he tells me mint. Really? Most kids would say chocolate or vanilla but I get the challenge of making a mint flavored cake. So I decided to go with a red velvet cake that had white chocolate peppermint filling and a very blue peppermint frosting. Since I didn't want to overload everyone on mint I thought I would try out a different chocolate malt recipe which wasn't as malty as I would have liked but much better than my first attempt. So here are a few pictures of Aidan's birthday and of course the cupcake recipe I tested out.

The very red batter

Slightly brown but not burned. The bottom cupcake had a insert so you didn't have to dig out the middle for the filling.

All finished! My biggest cupcake yet.

Add a couple trick candles ;)

Was a little thick for Aidan to cut.

Happy Birthday Aidan!

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes(courtesy of Martha Stewart)

The Goods
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups malted milk powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 lg eggs, at room temp.
1 cup sour cream, at room temp.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


The How To
Preheat oven to 350F.  Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.
The milk looks a little chunky... Give it a chance it will dissolve.

The whisked dry ingredients

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined.


Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes.


I used some spiderman cupcake liners but the chocolate was a dark so I doubled the liners up afterwards.

Fluffy White Frosting
This is the same frosting I used when I made my strawberry confetti birthday cupcakes. The best part about this buttercream is that it can take on any color. So to go along with the spiderman theme I decided with blue frosting.

This color can also double for baby shower cupcakes!! lol

Taking on more of a spiderman feel with the chocolate webs

I made all the cupcake toppers too.


This was taken right after Aidan was picked up from daycare and saw the kitchen decorated for the first time.


Up Next...
Double Chocolate Snowman Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment