9/20/2010

#7 Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with Cherry Filling

My mom and I were testing out cookies a few weekends ago for my up coming bridal shower and we  made these amazing chocolate malt cookies. So with the thought of malt dancing in my head, I of course would want to give malt a try in cupcakes. Unfortunately the cupcakes were a disaster!!! The cupcakes didn't rise, the cherries that I originally picked out had no flavor, you couldn't taste the malt whats so ever, and the original cherry buttercream frosting was a nightmare. But after taking a deep breath I went back to the store and bought cherry preserves to fill around the black pitted cherries (they were seriously disappointing!!) and I found a very tasty chocolate frosting (thanks Rachel Ray!!) that saved the day. So here's the recipe and maybe you'll have a better outcome.

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes(courtesy of Sweetly Adventures)
This was probley the best batter I've ever had!

The Goods
1cup butter room temp
2 1/2 cups sugar
4large eggs room temp
1 1/2cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Then I added 1cup malt (I used chocolate)

My little side kick
The How To

Preheat oven to 375degrees. Beat the butter until it's softened in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy-about 2mins. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well combined. Measure out the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cocoa powder and malt and sift together.
This is all the dry ingredients sifted together
Measure out the milk and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup and stir to combine.
Aidan mixing the milk and vanilla
On low speed add about one third of the dry ingredients to the butter and vanilla and beat until barely mixed in. Keep doing this until your wet and dry ingredients are gone. The process should only take about 30 seconds. Unfortunately with my love hate relationship that I have with the mixer, some of the dry ingredients went flying everywhere and this process of wet and dry took much longer than 30seconds.

Finish by using a spatula to gently fold the batter to make sure everything is well mixed and the bottom isn't un-mixed. Scoop the batter into cupcake tins lined with cups about 2/3's full.


Bake cupcakes for about 25mins, until the cake tester comes out clean. I started checking after 15mins.
Not bad but you can tell they don't have the usual dome top too them.
After the cupcakes have cooled down I cut the center of the cupcakes out to make room for the cherries and preserves.

Then I added the cherries- this is when I realized the cherries sucked and I added the preserves the next morning before I had a chance to frost them.


with the preserves added.

Next the frosting (attempt one)...

Cherry-Vanilla Buttercream(courtesy of recipe.com)
So everything was going fine with the frosting until I added the black pitted cherries and realized that the frosting really didn't have a distinct cherry taste so I added cherry preserves the next morning. After adding the preserves the frosting took on this shiny texture and the frosting looked like it separated (almost lumpy). Not sure what happened but here is the frosting and I will have to give this a try another day.

The Goods
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2cups unsalted butter room temp.
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons heavy cream
2/3cups cherry preserves (I used the pitted cherries then later added the preserves...)


The How To
Beat confectioners sugar and butter on medium-low speed until well blended. Add vanilla and heavy cream beat for 2mins until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry preserves until well combined.


This was before I added the preserves the next morning. Unfortunately I was in a hurry that morning and I didn't get a chance to get a picture of what it looked like afterwards.

Frosting attempt two....

Chocolate Buttercream(courtesy of Rachel Ray)
Now the outcome of this frosting was much better than the first and really easy to make.

The Goods
4oz unsweetened chocolate
1/2pound unsalted butter room temp
4cups confectioners sugar
4tablespoons milk
3teaspoons vanilla

The How To

Melt chocolate in microwave, checking after each 30 second interval to make sure you don't burn the chocolate. Stir and let cool. Next beat the butter and chocolate together until smooth. Add 2cups of sugar and 2tablespoons of the milk. Cream these ingredients until well blended. Add the rest of the sugar and milk and combine. Add the vanilla and mix in.
You would never know that this had been a total disaster!!!
Then add the optional sprinkles....
I was also trying out my new frosting tip but I think that's still a work in progress.
And of course it's approved by Taste Tester Aidan!

Up Next.....
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment