10/28/2010

#14 Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes

To wrap up my little squash segment I thought something with my favorite ingredient-chocolate would be the perfect ending. I came across this recipe back in August and I've been waiting patiently to give it a try. When the cupcakes were baking, the smell reminded me of those crackable  milk chocolate orange balls. Yummy right? So here's the recipe, give it a try and let me know what you think.

Couldn't pass up sharing this picture!


Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes (courtesy of cupcake project)

The Goods
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (I ended up adding a little left over butternut squash too)
2 large eggs room temp
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

The How To
Whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.

the dry ingredients are on the left :)
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat until smooth.


Mix in the oil, orange juice, and melted chocolate.


Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.


Mix in the chocolate chips.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.


Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.


Next time I'll fill the liners a little fuller


It's amazing how different the flavor tastes after the cupcake is fully cooled. I thought the orange was very prominent when warm then after it had time too cool it was more of a complementing flavor to the chocolate and pumpkin.

Pumpkin Pie Frosting(courtesy of cupcake project)
This is the best find ever! This is nothing but pumpkin pie, no extra butter or powdered sugar needed. I could seriously eat this on everything!

The Goods
Store bought or homemade pumpkin pie ( I used the recipe off the back of the Libby's can but with no crust)

The How To
Buy or make a pumpkin pie.
This was actually the second try at the pie. My first attempt had too much pumpkin and not enough spice. But I figured it out the second time around.

Move pie to a mixing bowl and mix for 30 secs so it's more of a frosting texture to it. Then decorate with a piping bag or with a knife.
love my pumpkin liners!
Enjoy!!
Up Next....
Peanut Butter Cookie Cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment