1/22/2011

#33 HOT Chocolate Cupcakes

So here I am contemplating on what to do. My idea was to make German Chocolate Cupcakes out of my Martha cookbook but I just wasn't feeling it. Not wanting to go to the store for ingredients I looked through my pantry and found the usual-flour, sugar, chocolate the base for a good cupcake. Then I came across the chili powder.... Eureka!!! The light bulb turned on!!! I've had this recipe for hot chocolate cupcakes saved in my email for a few months now and this is it's moment to shine!!!! I took the original recipe and added the chili powder and cinnamon. So I guess its like a version of Mexican Hot Chocolate. Anyways if you like your stuff spicy than feel free to add to taste. Just remember you can all ways add but you cant take back!!! 


HOT Chocolate Cupcakes (Courtesy of I Heart Cuppycakes)
If you don't feel the kick of the chili right away just wait a few seconds and it will creep up on you.


The Goods
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate,  finely chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/4 cup water
1-1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/14 teaspoon grounded cayenne red pepper
2/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 sticks butter
1-1/2 cups dark brown sugar
3 large eggs room temp
1/2 cup sour cream room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon


The How To
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop up the chocolate and then boil the water.  Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium sized bowl, add boiling water, whisk until smooth, set aside.




In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, chili powders and cinnamon whisk and set aside.





 In the bowl  of a standing mixer, beat butter until creamy.

 



Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.










At medium speed, add eggs one at a time, beat well between each.







Add sour cream and vanilla and beat until combined.

 


 
Now take third of the flour mixture and beat briefly until combined. Add about half of the chocolate mixture, beat briefly until combined. And repeat this again.

 


Fill liners 3/4 full. Bake for 18-20mins or until cake tester comes out clean. I also rotated my cupcakes halfway through the bake time so the ones in the back don't get burned.


The tops did sink a little but you cant tell after the frosting gets added.
Let these hot tamales cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10mins then remove them from the pan and let cool completely before frosting.


Marshmallow Buttercream
Since my last attempt with really marshmallow frosting miserably failed I went with this buttercream instead. Safe but oh so tasty!!!


The Goods
1 cup unsalted butter room temp.
1 jar (7oz) marshmallow cream
1 cup powder sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

The How To
On medium speed beat the butter until creamy, about 3mins.


Add the marshmallow cream and beat until combined. When well blended, beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Increase speed and beat for 3-4mins until fluffy.


Now frost and top with marshmallows!!





Up Next...
The Shirley Cupcake
Happy Birthday Grandma!!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment