11/23/2010

#21 Chocolate Eggnog Cupcakes

I cant help it!! I've tried really hard to wait and post this after Thanksgiving, but I couldn't. Sweet potato cupcakes are still on their way, but I really wanted to post this one first. I searched high and low for a chocolate eggnog recipe and without success I went with the recipe by Annie's Eats and tweaked it a little. The frosting went amazing well with the cupcake. My only complain was that it was a little on the runny side. Not to the point it that it was sliding off the cupcake, but it definitely wasn't pipeable even after refrigerating. I did get some mixed reviews- some thought they were perfect, a few couldn't taste the rum and I got a couple who couldn't taste the eggnog. I'm curious to what others thinks so give them a shot and let me know.



Chocolate Eggnog Cupcakes
Nothing beating the smell of rum and chocolate!!!

The Goods
1/4 cup dark rum
1 1/2cups eggnog
1/4 cup veggie oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups flour-sifted
2/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch processed)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

The How To
Preheat oven to 350degrees. In a small bowl mix together the rum, eggnog, veggie oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract.

Not looking to appetizing but keep going it gets better!
In another bowl  sift together the nutmeg, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder/soda, and salt.


Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until just combined.

Go ahead and try the batter now it's much better!
Divide evenly between prepared cupcake tin.


Bake for 18-20mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cupcakes spring back when touched.


 Cool in the pan for 5mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

yes these are my left over blood splattered Halloween liners. Gives them a little extra pizazz;)
Now for the frosting!!!

Vanilla Nutmeg Cream cheese Frosting
I made this the night before hoping it would firm up a little bit more but it didn't. Loved how the whipping cream gave it a creamy taste, but next time I will add a little less and see it the frosting gets a little firmer.

The Goods
16oz cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter-room temp
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg-(or dump to taste)
5-6 cups powdered sugar (I added like 7-8 trying to get the frosting to firm up)

The How To
Put cream cheese and butter in bowl of a stand up mixer (or a reg bowl and a hand mixer) mix on med-high until light and fluffy.

Turn down the mixer to low and slowly add milk and vanilla (I added my vanilla to my milk so there is only on thing to pour in)


Add the sugar and nutmeg


Use right away or refrigerate until needed.



I added a little extra nutmeg to the tops too.
Up Next...
Coconut Snowball Cupcakes

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly! I'm a Holly too and I love baking cupcakes. I applaud your efforts and would love to see you reach 101!
    I have a question about the chocolate eggnog cupcake ingredients. You wrote 2/4 c of cocoa powder? Would you please clarify that for me?
    Thanks so much and if you're so inclined, please visit my blog at
    http://www.swirls-cup-cakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete