11/10/2010

#18 Apple Chunk Cupcakes

When I was reading one of my favorite blogs cupcake project, I came across this recipe. I loved the huge chunks of apples and getting another excuse to use pumpkin pie as the frosting. After the chocolate overload from the last recipe I couldn't wait to get to the store and buy some tasty apples. I went with the honey crisp. If you haven't had one they are very flavorful and juicy. But I would have to say this by far wasn't one of my favorites. It seemed like the overall flavor of the cupcake was lacking something.... So give these a try  and as I see it anything is worth the effort if you get to use pumpkin pie!!!!


Apple Chunk Cupcakes (courtesy of Cupcake Project)
Go big or go home!! No little apple chunks here!!

The Goods
1 1/2 cups flour (I substituted the half cup with cake flour)
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups apple, roughly chopped and loosely packed


Took 2 apples to make the 2 1/2 cups



The How To
(sorry for my lack of pictures....)
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger and set aside (I also sifted my flour too). Beat butter and sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream, and lemon extract until blended. Mix in flour. Then fold in apple chunks.


Look at all that apple!!
Divide batter evenly among 12 cupcake liners. Pretty much fill them almost full you should have too much batter left over.



Bake at 350 degrees for about 25mins or until toothpick comes out clean


Then I decided to use the pumpkin pie frosting from the chocolate pumpkin cupcakes.

Next time I think I will try out a cream cheese frosting... Maybe cinnamon or even something with a little lemon flavor.

Up Next...
National Vanilla Cupcake Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment