4/16/2011

#46 Chai-Tea Cupcakes

Yes I'm a slacker...... I actually had these cuppys made Tuesday but I just didn't get a chance to get them up and posted yesterday. These spicy lovelies were  picked by Simple Girl for the monthly Martha Stewart Cupcake Challenge. Now let me tell you I've been dying to make these for awhile! I am a HUGE lover of chai tea and I even saved some of my favorite loose tea for these cupcakes. The smell of these reminded me of spice cake. My husband said they reminded him of pumpkin pie. I wasn't a huge fan of the glaze.... Pretty much if you don't eat them right away then the frosting oozed and goes everywhere. But it did taste good!!

Chai-Tea Cupcakes (courtesy of Martha Stewart)
I did make these in regular size. Just change the bake time to 18mins.

The Goods
3/4 cup milk
2 bags black tea ( I used a combo of Golden Monkey and Taj Masala Chai Tea which are both loose black teas that can be found at Teavana)
1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
1 cup cake flour sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 heaping teaspoon cinnamon (I heart cinnamon!!)
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cardamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 stick of unsalted butter room temp.
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs room temp.

The How To
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring your milk to a simmer in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the two tea bags, over pan and let steep for 15mins. Remove bags and squeeze out excess liquid.  Set aside and let the milk mixture cool completely.



Just pretend that this is in focus.... The milk will take on a light brown hue.
 Whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, pepper, and spices. Set aside.


In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the brown sugar and the butter. Mix on medium high speed for 2mins or until fluffy.



Add the eggs on at a time mixing well between each addition.



Reduce speed to low  and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of the milky tea and beating until just combined after each.


Divide evenly among mini cupcake tins, filling about three-quarters full. Bake for 10-12mins rotating half way through the bake time. Let cool completely before glazing.



Condensed-Milk Icing
Now if you're going to eat these right away make up the glaze if not wait and make it when needed.

The Goods
1/2 stick of butter room temp
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
Pinch of salt

The How To
Combine the butter, condensed milk and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on medium-high speed until smooth.



Turn the speed down to low and slowly add the sugar. Once all the sugar has been added turn the speed up to high and whisk until thick and smooth.


Once the cupcakes have had a chance to cool completely take and dip the tops into the icing then turn over quickly and let set.

Getting fancy with the flowers in the background ;)


Since everything taste better with sprinkles I topped each with a little rainbow sanding sugar to give them a little flair.


Lovely little rainbows!
Don't forget you only have 2 days left to sign up for a giveaway from my store with Little Boys are Made of Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails head over there for all the details!!

Up Next...
Carrot Cupcakes

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly! I think your cupcakes look great! I might have skimped ever so slightly on the condensed milk to make mine thick enough to pipe! So glad you could join us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love Chai Tea too- and after this bake, I'd say liquid form is still better. Lovely photo tutorial!

    ReplyDelete